The End... Only Not So Much.

Finally, last night the kiln used for the soda firing and the main kiln (used for the cone 10 firing, in which the majority of pieces went... at least the majority of everybody else's pieces ;) ) were unpacked. My flower came out gorgeous and it'll be going into the show. For the summer class, there's generally an art show put on with the students' and teachers' best pieces; everybody always has at least one or two things that turn out well, and they get put in a gallery with fancy lighting and it's just awesome. So anyway my flower and my horsehair piece will be going into the show for sure. Cthulhu or my teapot may go in, as well, but as the teapot wasn't yet fired our teacher hasn't yet made up her mind about it. The blue tape on my flower marked it as something our teacher wanted in the show. ;)



Other than watching the main kiln being unpacked, I also glazed my spoon rests, as they had been bisqued. I did one each in Emily's Purple, Michigan Blue, and Cal's Red. I'm hoping they'll be nice and bright. I also did my share of the cleaning up that has to be done at the end of class; we use NMSU's ceramics studio despite being a part of the community college's program, and so we have to clean up the mess we make once the class is done.

This part doesn't take much time to tell, but it actually took quite a bit of time! I was there for over 2 hours, and there was still some cleaning and glazing going on when I left. Some folks had a pretty late night, I'm betting. And as I mentioned both my teapots and my spoon rests still haven't been fired, so there's still a deal of work left for the class. There will be a second unpacking of kilns tomorrow, which should include everything except for possibly some of the teachers' teapots (some of them made more than one, and they were going to do some VERY intricate painting, I think, so they still needed more time). Anyway all of my things should be done at that point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself