Sprint 4 Retrospective

Sprint 4 is over. It was somewhat of a disaster. I completely and utterly underestimated the amount of time it would take me to rewrite the data access layer, application layer, and presentation layer. In retrospect it was insane to think it'd go that fast; this is a rewrite of almost the entire project, which I originally created over the course of 3 months. Whoops.

Anyway I got through parts of the data access layer rewrite, and that's about it. I've increased performance in a lot of areas and improved the code overall. I'm now taking advantage of Java 7's try-with-resources statement, which is AWESOME and makes JDBC code much less hideous, and I'm no longer doing any catch (Exception e) but rather actually specifying the exceptions e.g. catch (SQLException e). I did also tweak my database tables, which necessitated rewriting my database creation and fake data creation code. I also wrote a test class to make sure the code I wrote is actually functioning properly. All of this more or less fell under the "Improve database access code so that pages load faster" backlog item.

I also realized pretty quickly that I did a horrible job creating the backlog items for this sprint. I did horizontal slices instead of vertical, which is, aside from being a huge agile violation, just a bad idea in general, as it left my project in a mostly unusable state. The data access code methods that I worked on work, but as the other layers were untouched, they don't work with the updated database code. So the project can't be run in order to actually demo the changes I made, other than through command line tools.

I stopped trying to keep a burndown chart pretty quickly, because the estimated hours basically kept going up... I spent at least 20 hours working on the project during this sprint, but it's hard to get more exact than that as I was also spending my lunch breaks and other short bits of time on it, as well. I do feel that I got in more hours during this sprint, so that's good.

So this sprint really didn't go particularly well from an agile standpoint, but I am pleased that I was able to work on the project more consistently and for more hours. Going forward in the next sprint I will definitely be rewriting my backlog items into vertical slices rather than horizontal. The next sprint will be odd though, as the next demo would fall during the week of Thanksgiving, which is a vacation from classes. So it will most likely be either one week or 3 weeks. I'll have to see what my professor wants to do tomorrow during the demo.

And that's it for sprint 4, since my burndown chart is useless due to my awful estimating and backlog item creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself