Sprint 5 Review


Yesterday I met with my professor for a demo of the pieces I had working; he was satisfied with it. Then we discussed my plans for the next sprint and through to the beginning of next semester. During the next sprint, I intend to get the entire application running again at the very least. I'm also hoping to start on the list of new features (discussed below) that I'd like to explore; my adviser was open to me doing any/all of them, although as he put it they're really for my own personal development/education rather than requirements from him. Of course the entire project is pretty much an exercise in personal development, since I already know how to make working software, but anyway.

My goal with the project is to make an application that's as professional as possible, so I want to include some of the bells and whistles you'd normally expect from a commercial application. This includes things like resetting a forgotten password, locking an account after too many failed login attempts in a certain amount of time (which idea was sparked by this awesome article), having requirements for password strength, etc. I'd also like to make some more database performance/correctness improvements. So hopefully I can do one or two of these items; I haven't yet estimated them or prioritized them, since I brainstormed them over the weekend.

So that's the plan for the next sprint, which will be the last that will end with a demo for my prof since the demo will in fact be during finals week. I'll keep working though. No rest for the wicked and all that.  I will also have 2 weeks off around Christmas/New Year's, and I intend to spend quite a lot of that time working on my project.

I'm hoping to get all the background stuff (security, database performance, etc.) done before the spring semester starts, so in the spring I can concentrate on the UI and on adding a few more pieces of functionality for the end user (basically new data access/servlet/JSP chunks), and of course getting the paper written. And cramming for the oral exam component of my masters presentation, I suppose.

So that's the plan for awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself