Sprint 6 Retrospective

Yet again my biggest problem during this sprint was finding time to work on it. Considering the time of year, this isn't really a surprise. All the same, I had hoped to have more time than I did. During sprint 7 I'm going to try as hard as I can to work on the project at least a little every day. I've got a lot of stuff to do before next semester, so I want to get to doing it! I also thought of a number of things I had overlooked and discovered a few odd bugs, so the product backlog grew a bit during this sprint.

I finished rewriting the new file link page (3 hours), the new user page (1 hour), the new task page (2 hours), new comment page (1 hour), the task page (3 hours), and I fixed the bug with navigating to the projects page (15 minutes). Some things took a good deal longer than estimated...

There were no big issues during my development time, however I realized I had completely neglected to include time for making editing of tasks and projects work. Basically I was just concentrating on making things show up correctly and work when creating new entries. Whoops. So I added an issue to the product backlog for that.

In addition I realized I needed more guidance on how and when users should receive emails about updates; I got clarification from my adviser during our meeting so that's all good, and now in the product backlog.

During this sprint I also started looking into options for places that host git repositories. My adviser uses SVN, but I use git at work and really love being able to do local commits. I also want to back up my work more often but not check in code to the SVN repository when it's half usable, and git would allow me to do that (or I suppose any other version control system I choose to use that would be under my control, but I like git). So anyway I looked at the options and decided on Bitbucket, since I can have free private repos there. I'd feel rather odd making my Masters project public at this point, and I'm not sure my prof would approve of that anyway. Now that I've decided where and how I want to do this, I really want to get git set up and working during the next sprint. Having my code backed up in another location will also be rather reassuring, so it's a good plan for many reasons.

So in summary, the only real problem I had was a lack of time, so I'll be trying VERY hard during sprint 7 to work on the project more consistently. Wish me luck!

I did remember to actually keep a burndown chart this time. I only put in the days when I actually worked in the project (thus it highlights how few days that was):


I guess it highlights the problem in my process, which scrum is supposed to do, so yeah. It's rather guilt-inducing though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself