Sprint 6 Review

Today I met with my adviser for the sprint 6 review and demo. It was pretty uneventful. I didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped due to the busy holiday season (even programmers have friends and family, shockingly!), but what I did get done went well and turned out fine. All but the complicated  (recent activity/unfinished tasks/blocking tasks) read-only pages are done, and all of the creation code now works, so I demoed that.

Then we discussed the project's email update capabilities, as I realized during the sprint that we'd never really talked about how that should work. If a user sets their preference to receive update emails, they get emailed when updates occur to their projects and tasks. I had originally set it up so that only the task creator and assignee would receive emails, but my adviser decided he would want emails as an instructor for every task update, even in the case of a student-led project where one student might create the task and assign it to another student. So we hashed through the possible scenarios and decided who should be emailed when and for what types of events.

We also discussed the plan for next semester, since this was the last meeting we'll be having for awhile. My adviser wants to use my system to manage other students' projects next semester, as well as managing my own project. Very meta. So I need to make any database schema changes now and hopefully not touch that next semester, as it'll be much more complicated with live data. My adviser will set up my project and run it on one of his machines, so we're targeting the week before classes start for getting that done.

So I now have a firm deadline for all the back-end stuff I want to get done. Essentially I want to have the data access layer and application layer as done as possible before going live. Hopefully I can really knock this stuff out and be all set for concentrating on the UI next semester. From experience I expect that to be pretty time consuming to get right...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself