Sprint 10 Review

The meeting yesterday with my professor went fine. It was quite brief, as there wasn’t much to discuss. I let him know that I had committed code to the SVN repository on Sunday, and that I had fixed all the bugs I know of and then started on UI improvements. I had a few questions on stuff I worked on during the sprint, which had all been from comments he’d made earlier, so I got clarifications on those items. He will pull my code on Wednesday and get it deployed on his server, so that’s pretty much the deadline for being done with stuff I want to actually be in the demo on Friday.

On Saturday I sent my advisor an outline of the slideshow presentation I’ll have to give, and he did say that was fine.

The other thing we got done during the meeting yesterday was making sure my laptop will work in the room where I’ll be presenting. One of my friends advised me to do that, and then I remembered that I’d had massive issues in that very room with my old netbook. I believe it was completely fruitless and I ended up having to borrow the instructor’s laptop. Luckily my new laptop worked like a dream. Just plugged in the VGA cable, and poof! It worked instantly. I don’t know if it was the laptop itself (as it is a different brand from ye olden netbook) or the shiny new OS (Win8), but either way it worked.

After Wednesday I’ll just get the slideshow done and study for the oral exam component. There are 4 areas I need to study: databases, software engineering, automata, and algorithms. The former two are because they’re specialties of the faculty members on my committee, and the latter two are because those are both required classes and questions on those areas are nearly always included in oral exams. I think this is evil since both those areas are totally theoretical and thus never used in actual work (and thus I barely remember anything about them), but whatevs. Algorithms I suppose ought not to be totally theoretical, but that’s the way the material was presented: there was no connection to practical work or information on how one might apply it to the real world whatsoever. It gave me a sad, to be sure.

So anyway now I just have to get a few last UI things done, and that’ll be that for programming. I’m taking off from work Wednesday through Friday, so I may be pulling an all-nighter to do the UI stuff I want to by tomorrow morning. It wouldn’t be college without an all-nighter, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git. The WHAT and WHY Edition.

"Does it get easier?" Yes, but Also No...

How to Land Your First Dev Job: Develop Yourself, Market Yourself